Frequently Asked Questions –Faq’s

  • For most of us it is 17 years but if you are currently getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate (mobility component) you can start at 16.

  • For most of us it is 17 years but if you are currently getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate (mobility component) you can start at 16

    You can, however, apply for a Provisional License when you are 16 (because at that age you are able to ride a moped) – so if you are keen to start – apply for a provisional well before your 17th birthday to get a Driver Number that you will need in order to book your theory test.

  • If you have never held a driving license before you will need to apply for a provisional license.You must:

    Complete driving license application form D1 and photo card application form D750 (available from most post offices)

    Enclose original documentation confirming your identity, either

    • Full valid Current Passport
    • Birth certificate
    • Certificate of Registry of Birth (Provided your name is present on the certificate)
    • Adoption certificate
    • ID Card issued by a member state of the EC/EEA
    • Travel Documents issued by the Home Office
    • Certificate of Naturalisation or Registration
    • If your name is now different from that shown on the document you submit to confirm your identity, you must also supply original documentary evidence to confirm your change of name e. Marriage Certificate, Decree Absolute or Decree Nisi papers, Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration

    Enclose a photograph of you which must be:

    • Colour passport-type and size (size of image 45 mm x 35 mm) – Not black & white
    • A recent and true likeness, showing the full face, with no hat, helmet or sunglasses
    • Taken against a plain, evenly lit and light background.
    • Signed on the reverse by the person who has completed section 5 of your D750 form (if you enclose any document other than a full valid current United Kingdom passport).
    • Unless you send a full valid current United Kingdom passport with your application you must have the reverse of your photograph signed by either:
      • An MP
      • A Magistrate
      • A Minister of Religion
      • A professionally qualified person (e. engineer, lawyer, teacher et) ie someone with letters after their name
      • A local councilor
      • A bank officer
      • A civil servant
      • A police officer; or
      • Someone of similar standing
    • This person must have known you personally for at least two years and must not be a relative and must also complete section 5 of your D750 form.
    • Enclose the appropriate fee.
    • Send the whole lot off to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD
    • Note that if this is your first license application then you cannot legally drive until you have received the license.

  • Yes – we suggest that you do so that the theory test will make more sense.

  • Anyone who is at least 21 years old and have held a full EC motor car license for at least 3 years can supervise and teach you – as long as you do not pay them.
    Only a registered Driving Instructor is allowed to charge money for teaching and supervising you.
    It is illegal for anyone else to charge you – either in money or “money’s worth” (means that you cannot pay for the petrol or work off the lessons or anything else)
    Anyone who does not comply with these requirements could be liable to a fine up to £1,000, disqualification or 3-6 penalty points (as could the learner driver).

  • If you can drive and control your car safely and competently, with due care and anticipation of other road users, weather and traffic conditions and can competently complete all of the maneuvers then, and only then are you ready to pass your driving test.

    You must take advice from your instructor as to when you are ready – too soon and it can be a costly and confidence shattering.
    However enthusiastic and keen you are please bear in mind that your driving test will be the first occasion when you are let loose on your own – if the examiner intervenes then the test is automatically terminated. Your Driving Instructor therefore will have to assess how safe you are and also how safe his car will be in your hands. So please do not go off and book a test before he advises that your ready – we do not like to have to refuse the use of our car for test.